Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Day of Rest?

Only talk of maybe doing a little more on the kitchen last night occurred. I think we both needed a break...I sure know I did. Unloaded all the garbage from the back of my truck at the dump yesterday. I told them I'd be back probably on a regular basis for a while.

So we relaxed...spent a bit of time looking for a farm kitchen sink on line and trying to be sure we can get the right cabinet to house it. Looks like we're good to go. Put Chris to work last night taking nails out of the joists in the ceiling. Kept him busy for a little bit, but left a nice mess for Michael to clean up from the floor. He just didn't get the concept that you manage your own mess. We'll be working on that. One less thing we have to do though.

Today I pick up the last of the base cabinets that Schrock had in their warehouse that we could use. So we have the cabinets for the island and most what we needed in bases with the exception of the sink base and a couple 18 inchers. I may be wrong on that, but we are close all the same. They didn't have anything we needed for the upper cabinets except the one we brought home a couple of weeks ago for the corner. That was a great find! We'll call Schrock's weekly to see if anymore come in that we need. Trying to avoid having to buy any of them at full retail if at all possible.

Now, do we strip the plaster and lathe off the walls and ceiling and put up drywall? That is the next big decision. I say go for it and eliminate the worry of things breaking apart later after investing all the time to make it beautiful. What's a little more mess? I can mud and tape with the best of them.

2 comments:

Tony "the big fat loser" said...

Coming along nicely...great job guys!

Corey said...

Trust me, rip down the old plaster and lathe. If not, you'll be having a bear of a time anchoring anything to the walls.

The ceiling may be worth keeping though, seeing as you don't really anchor much to it.